Green Banana Blog
Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce: Gluten and Dairy Free
Growing up in an Italian American family pasta is a way of life. But when this Italian girl decided to go gluten and dairy free, that way of life needed some adjustments. But with recipes like this Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything. So creamy and full of flavor, it will have everyone asking for seconds!
-1 pound of penne pasta
-4 Tbsp olive oil, separated
-1 small white onion, diced
-1 clove, minced
-¼ tsp salt
-¼ tsp pepper
-1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
-2 Tbsp tomato paste
-1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
-1 tsp cornstarch
-¼ cup cold water
-½ cup of frozen peas
- Cook pasta according to instruction on the package, drain water, toss in 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and set aside
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add garlic and onion and sauté for 3-5, or until onions become translucent and fragrant
- Add salt and pepper and sauté for another minute
- Add asparagus to the garlic and onion mix, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until asparagus becomes bright green
- Mix in tomato paste and mix until well combined
- Once tomato paste is well combined add coconut milk and mix well with contents of the pan. You may need to use a whisk to break up any coconut milk or tomato paste clumps.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water until there are no clumps.
- Bring the contents of the sauté pan to a boil and add the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes or until the mixture reaches the desired thickness.
- Reduce heat to low and add in frozen peas.
- Turn off heat, add pasta to sauté pan, mix until well combined.
- Enjoy as a stand alone dish or top with a protein and enjoy!