Green Banana Blog
Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce: Gluten and Dairy Free
Growing up in an Italian American family pasta is a way of life. But when this Italian girl decided to go gluten and dairy free, that way of life needed some adjustments. But with recipes like this Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce I don’t feel like I am missing out on anything. So creamy and full of flavor, it will have everyone asking for seconds!
-1 pound of penne pasta
-4 Tbsp olive oil, separated
-1 small white onion, diced
-1 clove, minced
-¼ tsp salt
-¼ tsp pepper
-1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
-2 Tbsp tomato paste
-1 can of coconut milk (400ml)
-1 tsp cornstarch
-¼ cup cold water
-½ cup of frozen peas
- Cook pasta according to instruction on the package, drain water, toss in 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and set aside
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add garlic and onion and sauté for 3-5, or until onions become translucent and fragrant
- Add salt and pepper and sauté for another minute
- Add asparagus to the garlic and onion mix, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until asparagus becomes bright green
- Mix in tomato paste and mix until well combined
- Once tomato paste is well combined add coconut milk and mix well with contents of the pan. You may need to use a whisk to break up any coconut milk or tomato paste clumps.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and water until there are no clumps.
- Bring the contents of the sauté pan to a boil and add the cornstarch and water mixture. Stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes or until the mixture reaches the desired thickness.
- Reduce heat to low and add in frozen peas.
- Turn off heat, add pasta to sauté pan, mix until well combined.
- Enjoy as a stand alone dish or top with a protein and enjoy!
Most Recent Articles
Green Banana Blog Quinoa is a super grain packed with protein, fiber and antioxidants, but that isn’t the only thing that makes this a great recipe. It is also delicious, easy to make, and versatile. Quinoa Cakes are a staple in my house. As a plant based eater, I...
Green Banana BlogBlack Bean soup is one of my favorites dishes on a cold day. Besides being yummy, black beans are an amazing food that are filled with cancer-fighting anti-oxidants and fiber. However, beyond that, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine, they are a...
Green Banana BlogA Makeup Free Life 5 Ways To Help You Love the Skin You Are In Like many women, I walk the fine line. Sometimes accepting myself as I am- it’s easy. And sometimes wanting to use products to make me feel prettier or accentuate certain...
Green Banana BlogI DID A BURPEE TODAY! And this is why I am so excited about it... The burpee. It’s a plank, a squat and a jump. While it requires some strength and a bit of agility to complete this exercise with proper form, it’s not that difficult. To me, the...
Green Banana BlogI am grateful… I live a life of abundance. I am fully aware of just how lucky I am. To be alive, to love and to experience the beauty of the world, what more can you ask for? While I have a genuine gratitude attitude for life, I am simultaneously an...
Copyright © 2020 Green Banana Wellness LLC. & Anna Mahoney LLC. All rights reserved.