Green Banana Blog
This Lentil Loaf is one of my favorite vegetarian recipes. It is a hearty and nutritious meal that is high in fiber, protein and is sure to fill you up. I love to make this recipe and serve it with a Vegetarian Gravy (see recipe below) and Cauliflower mash, by my carnivorous husband uses it as a side to a roast. Healthy and versatile, my favorite combination!
– 1 cup of brown lentils cooked and cooled
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 medium carrot grated
– 2 stalks of celery grated
– 1 medium onion grated
– 2 cloves of garlic grated
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– 2 eggs*
– 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
– 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
– 1/3 cup oat flour (or any other multi-purpose flour)
– Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
– Place lentils in a large mixing bowl and mash with the back of a spoon leaving half of the lentils mashed and half whole.
– Add grated vegetables to lentils and mix well.
– Add in the flax eggs and mustard to the bowl with the lentils and mix well.
– Slowly add in the oats and oat flour to the lentils and mix until well combined.
– Move mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes.
– Remove from oven let sit for 5 minutes to settle, serve warm and enjoy!**
**To Freeze, allow load to cool, then slice into serving sizes, wrap in saran wrap and freeze
*To make vegan replace eggs with flax eggs (1 Flax eggs = 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseed and 3 Tbsp of water, mix and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before using in recipe)
Vegetarian Gravy Recipe:
-3 Tbsp of butter, or butter replacment
-2 Tbsp all purpose flour, or all purpose gluten free flour
-2 cups of vegetable broth
-2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
– 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
-In a small sauce pain melt butter over medium heat. Once melted add flour and whisk mixture together creating a roux
-Cook roux for 2 minutes whisking continuously, then add 1 3/4 cups of the vegetable broth.
-Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and allow mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
-Add in soy sauce and thyme and stir until well combined.
-If the gravy is too thick, add the remaining vegetable broth, stir well, and remove from heat.
-Serve hot over your favorite dish and enjoy!